Tell them all to “Take a Hike”…Or a Bike Ride…and go with them!
One of the first things that comes to mind when people think of Arizona is of course our beautiful scenery, and Marana is no exception to that! Marana is the gateway to the Tucson Mountain (West) District of Saguaro National Park, which is home to the largest cactus forest in the nation, which is filled with many miles of trails, with excellent views of the cacti and the Tucson Mountains. Also to the west of Marana is Ironwood Forest National Monument, named after one of the longest-living trees in the desert. The monument offers a significantly more secluded and wild experience than Saguaro National Park. On the eastern side of Marana, you find the Tortolita Mountains and the Tortolita Preserve, with dozens of miles of trails winding their way through canyons and displaying a vast array of desert life, including crested Saguaros, palos verdes, ironwoods, mesquites, and other cacti.
Are they more into strolling than hiking?
Marana also has many miles of The Loop Shared Use Path, a paved trail connecting various parts of Pima County. For those interested in birdwatching, check out the El Rio Preserve, a riparian area along the Santa Cruz River where over 200 bird species have been observed. You can also go for a stroll through the beautiful gardens full of flora native to the Sonoran Desert at Tohono Chul, and see fauna in addition to flora at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.
Are they into something more adventurous than a hike? Well, you’re in luck.
- Soar above the desert in a hot air balloon with Foolish Pleasure Hot Air Balloon Rides, or in a parachute with Skydive Marana
- Not adventurous in the traditional sense but definitely unique, head to Rooster Cogburn Ostrich Ranch, a working ostrich ranch and petting zoo, which is the self-proclaimed “Darndest Place You’ll Ever Visit”! Certainly an experience your family will never forget!
- Yuletide at Old Tucson – Take a step back in time and experience the holidays the Old West Way at Old Tucson! The beloved theme park that’s perfect for the whole family is back and better than ever!
Are you just looking to spend some quality time together – but with some friendly competition?
- TopGolf Marana – You don’t have to be good at golf to have a great time at TopGolf! Hit some balls, grab a drink and a bite to eat, and enjoy each other’s company. If they do happen to be good at golf, Marana has some award-winning golf courses for you to hit the links at!
- Splitting Timber Axe Throwing – Channel your inner lumberjack at Arizona’s largest axe-throwing range, located inside the Tucson Premium Outlets! After a demonstration from their “Axesperts” and a few practice throws, you’ll square off in a tournament to determine who in your group is the Axe Throwing Champion!
- Disruptive Paintball and Airsoft – Wanting to up the competition a little? Head out to Disruptive Paintball and Airsoft for a great day of battling and strategy! They provide everything you’ll need!
Are they foodies? Or have they just heard about the amazing food we have here in Southern Arizona?
One of the best things to do with family anywhere is to enjoy a meal out, and Marana has many restaurants for you to show off to them, from award-winning establishments to street food vendors! Southern Arizona is known for its great food, specifically Sonoran-style Mexican food and Sonoran Hot Dogs! Marana certainly has no shortage of either of those. If there’s an occasion that might call for a more upscale experience, may we suggest the Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? The property features 5 restaurants serving up fine dishes inspired by the Sonoran Desert. Many of our restaurants also feature unique twists on classic drinks, specially-themed drinks, and even some award-winning beverages, that are great to share with out-of-town visitors! Check out our Drink Marana series for more!
When your guests do arrive, Marana has a variety of differnt lodging options for them to chose from, from luxurious to budget-friendly and everything else in between!