What Is A Sonoran Hot Dog?
The Sonoran Hot Dog is Southern Arizona and northwestern Mexico's twist on the classic American street food. Traditionally, it consists of a bacon-wrapped and grilled hot dog, topped with pinto beans, pico de gallo, mayonnaise, and mustard. Although they can be and sometimes are served on traditional hot dog buns, they are traditionally served on a Mexican-style roll known as either a bolillo or birote. A roasted guero chili pepper is usually served on the side, so make sure to save some of your drink for after you're done!
Where Did They Originate?
As the name suggests, Sonoran Hot Dogs originated in Hermosillo, the capital of Sonora, sometime during the 1980s. Due to the strong connections between Sonora and Southern Arizona, they quickly spread and became popular (some would say a bit of a cultural phenomenon) in Southern Arizona. Although Sonoran Hot Dogs can be found all over Sonora and Arizona, they have gained the most popularity in the Tucson area, and are considered by many to be a "signature street food" of the city. Fun fact, the Spanish name for a hot dog stand is a doguero.
What Are Some Places I Can Find Them in Marana?
Marana is home to several different restaurants and street vendors that sell Sonoran Hot Dogs and other delicious street and other foods. Here are some of them (in no particular order):
- La Carreta del Rorro (main location on Cortaro Road east of I-10): Food truck with a permanent, shaded patio constructed around it. In 2017, they won "Best Overall" in the Sonoran Hot Dog Challenge!
- Taqueria Plaza's (located at Grier Rd. & Sandario Rd. near Downtown Marana, in the parking lot of First Baptist Church): Food truck which also serves tacos, burritos, chimichangas, and other Mexican classics.
- Catalina Brewing Company (located near the intersection of Ina Rd. & I-10 in southern Marana): Bike-themed microbrewery with a rotating selection of beers made with ingredients sourced in Marana. They have specials on Sonoran Hot Dogs every Sunday and Monday!
- Erika's Raspados, Sonoran Hot Dogs, & More (located at Main Street Grocery, off of Sandario Rd. in Downtown Marana): Food truck which also serves walking tacos, nachos, and refreshing raspados and ice cream!
- Tacos Apson (located near Costco on Thornydale Rd.): One of the highest-rated and most-reviewed taquerias in Tucson, with a casual, relaxed environment.
- The Blacktop Grill (located near the intersection of Thornydale Rd. & Cortaro Farms Rd.): Known for hot dogs with a twist (not just Sonoran Hot Dogs), quesadillas, nachos, and tacos, with some keto and vegan/vegetarian options, as well as traditional offerings.
- La Olla Mexican Cafe (off of Silverbell Rd. in the Continental Ranch area): Mexican restaurant, serving up Sonoran-style dishes that have an "upscale feel without the upscale price".
- Angela's Mexican Food (on Coachline Blvd. in the Continental Ranch area): Authentic Mexican/Sonoran restaurant, popular among locals.